Baby

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vintage Finds

Long time, no blog. First the doggies got sick (Gizzy did), then Lily got spayed, and then I've been sick ever since. I had a slight cold. A bit of a sore throat and a cough, but otherwise felt fine. But then it lasted too long and started getting worse. After two weeks of it, and one night of no sleep due to the cough that wouldn't stop, I headed out to see the doctor. Turns out I had/have bronchitis... Fun times. So I got a bunch of meds and am feeling a little better, but not 100%. I actually am starting to cough more again, fanfeckingtastic! So I have another doctors appointment set for Monday morning. Story of my life. With this immune system, I'll be lucky if I don't get the Swine Flu!

Anyhoo, With all the awesome thrift shopping I've been seeing on blogs lately, has made me want to look. I started going to Goodwill quite often, but not finding anything worth buying. A couple weeks ago I went by my favorite vintage shop, Go Kat Go. This store is so beyond awesome! They have a mixture of punk rock knick knacks, vintage finds and furniture, clothing made locally, etc etc. I walked into the store and was greeted by a doggy! And then, in a bucket of patches, was lying a cute little kitty! I wish I would've taken a picture of that, because it was really unexpected and super cute. Anyway, I browsed the store and ended up leaving with two items. One was a vintage serving platter.



Great find and it was $10. Didn't even have a scratch on it!

I used it for my entry table. I put some candles in it, and voi la!





I also picked up these coasters. Since Lily chewed up all our cork coasters, and the glass coasters kinda suck for coaster purposes, I knew Husband would appreciate this. And they were only a couple buckaroos!




And finally, after several attempts to find something worth while at Goodwill (and my last attempt), I found this chandelier. I really wish I had a before picture. Of course, I forgot to take a before picture. Well, that's not entirely true. I did take a before picture. With my camera phone, but it was horrible cause I was trying to hold it up, and take a photo at the same time, and this is heavy! So it turned out like crap and I didn't hang it until I was almost done painting it (when Husband got home and found a place for me to hang it). Anyway before painting it, it was just brass. Like a brassy gold color. It was ugly.

It's not done yet though! I did paint it with a glossy black spray paint. So here it is so far... (Please excuse my messy messy garage in the background).






I bought some small red lamp shades to go with it, but the lightbulbs I bought were the wrong size, so I need to take them back. I was originally going to paint this red for my grey, red and white guest bedroom, but I decided first, I'm going to play it safe and paint it black, incase the red is too much. For now, I think I may try to talk Husband into hanging it in the dining room, since it seems as though a new chandelier is not in our immediate future. :( And I don't know how much longer I can stand to look at that fugly thing hanging there now.

So there you have it! My first vintage/thrift finds! How do you think I did?

1 comment:

Cupcake Mama said...

hey...my music starts just when the blog is opened! mine is better ;)